(All other pleasure is fleeting at best). Came across this definition while watching Oprah interview Shawn Achor, the world’s leading expert on happiness and performance. I think it’s the best definition I’ve heard yet.
- Eat with awareness and gratitude.
- Pause before buying and see if breathing is enough.
- Pay attention to the effects of media you consume.
Pause. Breathe. Listen.
- When you feel compelled to speak in a meeting or conversation, pause.
- Breathe before entering your home, pleace of work, or school.
- Listen to the people you encounter. They are buddhas.
“The study of asana is not about mastering posture. It’s about using posture to understand and transform yourself.”
~ B.K.S. Iyengar, “Light on Yoga”
I really wanted to stay in bed this morning. After a string of unusually hot and still days, our wonderful tradewinds have returned. It was nice and cool, as I lay under my sheet, lost in a dream. But a lone seagull’s call kept piercing my silence, almost like I’d put my alarm on snooze.
So I got up. This is my yoga practice.